I had the big realization last week that I tend to spend quite a bit of time trying to make something that is an art into a science. I'm always trying to figure out just the right formula to be at peace and content with my circumstances. A perfect example is our finances. It's great to have a budget and a plan, but the reality is that sometimes we will go over the figure we set and sometimes I will buy a shirt at Target that I don't really need. Even at our small group this week I caught myself asking other couples for financial advice and wisdom, which in and of itself is not a bad thing, but I was looking for "just the right way" to spend money. I want someone to just tell me the rules so I can simply follow them. Other examples where I've seen this idea in my life include being a wife, mothering, cleaning our house, weight-loss, etc.
The problem with this kind of thinking is that it doesn't leave space for the beauty of creativity. I probably need a little reigning in from time to time or I would bounce all over the place, but when I catch myself being too extreme about how to do everything then I miss the art of it all. Finding peace in my home doesn't come from the perfect cleaning schedule and furniture arrangements. While I'm always up for tips, advice, wisdom, etc. I'm also going to try to start embracing the ART of life. An incredible piece of artwork usually has a few mistakes and wasn't perfectly plotted out before it happens. Maybe it's time for me to grab a blank canvas, some brushes, and a bunch of colors and see what happens!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment