David and I are big Barack Obama supporters for the '08 election. He is coming to Kansas City on Saturday to launch his campaign. We are super excited to hear him speak. For more information about this candidate please go to his website at www.barackobama.com. He has an awesome speech posted right now on faith and politics.
Faith and politics has become a topic that I have become very interested in over the past few years. I used to vote Republican because I was spoon fed to do so by older, conservative Christians. A wise friend of mine told me a few years ago to consider picking a few topics or issues that are important to me and supporting the candidate that best matches my status on the issues. If you are voting one direction or the other I would ask you the following questions..."Do you know why you are voting for one party? Do you have your top issues that cause you to support a candidate?" My important issues have recently been: social justice, the environment, cultural awareness, and public education. I think it would be so wonderful to have a bi-racial man who supports these things in the White House.
PS-I love a good debate and hope I am good listener to other points of view while holding my own ground. Let's talk politics via comments and e-mail!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
found you via cristy's blog...
i too am changing my views on why i vote. we had a big discussion with my family about whether or not a country should legislate morality. we've attempted to do this during this presidency but it has only brought division. it bothers me that we choose leaders based on hot button issues and what they can promise us rather than how they will lead the country and make tough, smart decisions when they need to. i have a hard time supporting any candidate these days. especially when you begin to understand lobbying and how politicians support causes because they receive money from interest groups. ok, sorry this was so long!! hope we can continue the dialogue...
Post a Comment