Friday, June 15, 2007

In the Mountains...

For all of you faithful followers, my apologies for not posting lately. We've had a wonderful few weeks traveling. Many interesting things have occurred for me to share. We first made our way down to Galveston, TX for several days with David's grandparents at their beach house. Thomas loved helping to feed the seagulls and looking at the crabs we caught in the bay. If you are reading this, please say a quick prayer for David's grandmother, Trudy (GG). She is an exceptional woman who is currently battling cancer. David and I had the opportunity to share with Trudy and Tom how much we have learned from them, especially about marriage. They have been very inclusive and supportive of us since I entered the picture 6 years ago. My relationship with GG has meant a ton to me especially since my own grandmothers passed away 10 and 14 years ago. The trip was also a wonderful chance for both the Thomas Lisenbys to be together. They had fun sharing smiles on the back deck.

On Memorial Day weekend we made it all the way from sea-level to 9,200 ft. with only a few meltdowns from Baby Tommy. I think we have permanently ruined his former enjoyment of riding in the car. He hates his carseat now. Upon arriving at my parent's cabin in CO he had altitude sickness for 10 days. David's cousins were afraid of him after he threw up carrots all over them and then had a runny poop down his back. We're settling into a rhythm now, though, and have had a few adventures. We went to the Sand Dunes on the highest wind day of the year and had some friends from Spain come stay with us. Sharing a Spanish bota of wine and eating authentic sausage did not agree with my belly so well. Last weekend proved to provide some interesting discussion topics with my friends from grad. school who came down for a few nights. I'd love to hear you thoughts about the following topics (listed in random order):

1. Is the Bible meant to be applied to our current lives word for word or just in themes?
2. Is it ok for women to have plastic surgery especially after they are done having kids?
3. Would you ever consider being a surrogate mother? (This came up when David's aunt called and asked me this).
4. Are men and women equal?
5. Can you be a Republican and truly care deeply about social justice?
6. Should healthcare be nationalized?

I promise to share all my thoughts as you post comments. Right now I'm enjoying some water as I sit next to my friend Tara (whose Papa has a cabin out here too). We are using the internet at a place called the Candy Bean that sells toys. Last year it was a bike shop. Stores in small mountain towns sure change quickly.

1 comment:

Cristy said...

I'm glad you're having a good time! Hope the trip home is more enjoyable. (think benadryl...what can i say?) Here's my thoughts on a few:

-plastic surgery- why the heck not? Brian's already been informed to set aside a bonus in the next decade for my boob lift (maybe enlargement), possibly tummy tuck...and while I'm at it...brow lift and microderm. you've seen those makeover shows, right? that just proves plastic surgery is a gift from God.

-surrogacy- haven't given this much thought before. But I think it would be awesome to give someone the gift of motherhood! Brian probably wouldn't let me though, since I bitch so much about everything in pregnancy.

-men and women as equals- I think we should be, but we aren't there yet. there is still a huge pay gap, and stay-at-home dad isn't as acceptable as it should be. I'll also say, since God made women and men so different, its hard to understand/compare equality. Are apples and oranges equal?

that's all my thoughts for now. I'll have to think about the other ones!!