Sunday, May 11, 2008

New Years Resolution Update

Thomas and I have been busy during the week going to the park. We've gone almost every day this week to a different park, and he loves it. I love being outside. Not much else is going on right now. We are waiting for David to finish up finals so we can head to the cabin for 2 weeks! Then we will be home for June and July and go back out there in August. I can't wait to smell mountain air and see my CO friends!

Here's the New Years Update 6 months in:

1. Be less judgmental about how other people spend money, especially extremely wealthy people.
Callie's wedding was a big gauge for me in this. I'm starting to realize that everyone has something they spend money on.
For some, it is travel. For my dad it is golf clubs. Home decorating, cars, school, and toys also might be options. So
basically God gave us all the money we have and we get to choose how we spend it. Just because I choose differently than
others doesn't mean I'm bad or they are bad. It's just different. I still have some work to do about my first response to not
be judgment, and I also have some work to do in giving my own money away more often and promoting justice in my own
community. I still don't know how to not judge those of us who have A LOT and don't give much away. Maybe it's just me,
but the wealthiest people in my life are the least generous. That is where I get stuck. Thoughts? I'd love to engage on this
topic.

2. Get up every week day by 6:30am.
I had a slump for a month or so when I was sleeping until Thomas woke me up, but I think I am out of that now. I like
going to the gym a few mornings a week at 5:30, so I've been trying to make that happen. I'm also realizing that I can
function pretty well on 6-7 hours of sleep instead of 8-9. That has been a mental shift for me, the girl who loves to sleep.

3. Choose not to feel guilty about adding the career piece of myself back into my life.
Classes this semester are done, and this Spring has been the best season as a mother yet. While I've loved having
something for myself, I've also realized somewhere along the way that I do not want to go back to work full-time.

4. Go on more cultural dates with my husband.
Bad here. I can't think of any interesting things we have done for the past few months. I've enjoyed my book club lately
and am excited to start reading 'The Artist's Way' this summer with a group of creative women. Hopefully David and I can
get out of suburbia together several times this summer.

5. Take pictures that help me create a story through writing.
I haven't taken that many pictures lately, but I'm kind of holding out for my friend's photography class in August. One
creative project I have been working on is a journal for Thomas. Every couple of days I write something he did or thoughts
I have. I hope to continue it throughout his childhood and give it to him when becomes an adult. David and I want to
climb a peak with him the summer after he graduates and bless him as a man. I'll probably give it to him then.

6. When I have the choice, make the more simple decision 60% of the time.
I've decided this one goes hand in hand with my confidence levels. When I am confident about the direction we want our
family to go, it is easy for me to make simple, good decisions. When I start wavering or people pleasing, I don't think
through whether a decision fits our values and desire for simplicity well.

My fruit of the spirit that I am going to focus on/read about/try to live out this year is faithfulness.
I'm still struggling here. I just don't know what this looks like as well with my role as a mom. Reading my bible, being in a
study or a MOPS group, joining our new church???

2 comments:

Crystal D. said...

I love how organized you are with these. Maybe next year ... sigh. Love reading about your life!

tara said...

I have so many thoughts, but I am going to just wait and talk to you in the mountains!!!! Can you let me know exactly what dates you are going to be there? I want to make sure we have enough days overlapping....