
I was honestly really disappointed in this book. I thought its predecessor, Preparation for Parenting (Or Baby Wise) was really helpful, but I gained very little from this read. I think I might need to read the Growing Kids God's Way version.
The only thing we are implementing from this theory is to have Thomas respond when we give instructions with a "Yes, Mommy or No, Mommy" and to continue to create structure and routine in his day. We had considered carrying on the Lisenby tradition of having him say "Yes, Ma'am and Yes, Sir," but David doesn't want his own son to call him "Sir." Plus, David's parents never made the transition out of this stage and still expect a "Yes, Sir" from us today. I think Ma'am and Sir has brought a degree of formality in the Lisenby family that I do not want with my kids. Thomas will be required to answer with more than a "What? or Yeah?" though, which is what I did as a kid.
Does anyone have any other suggestions on favorite parenting books? How does (did) manner training work in your house? I'm kind of on a roll of creating structure and routine after reading Dr. Ferber's sleep book and Toddler Wise.
2 comments:
I agree that Toddlerwise doesn't have a ton of info - let me know if you get Growing Kid's Gods Way.
It said I left a comment at 4:34am, let me say that it is not 4:34am. It is 6:35am and I am sitting here pumping at the computer!
Post a Comment