I plan to use this blog and the book I am writing to tell my story. But for now I would simply like to say that I truly have the best friends and family I could ever think to ask for or imagine. On the inside of my ex-husband's wedding band I had the following verse inscribed:
Ephesians 3:20-21
New International Version (NIV)
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
I was hoping God would do immeasurably more than I could think to ask or imagine in our marriage and life together. But instead He did that with my family and friends in the past year. Three groups stand out here:
1. My parents and brothers and cousin. My dad is the most generous man I've ever met. And my mom is the most task oriented person I know. Together they have helped me move twice, raise my sons, provided for us financially, and purchased our home. They have stuck by me from the first phone call of shock asking them to come pick up the kids. And my brothers have taken it on themselves, as young bachelors, to help raise my sons. My cousin has helped me pick myself up, gain some confidence, and start dating again. Immeasurably more than I can think to ask for from a family.
2. My Wilderness Ranch friends. When all of my other college friends were doing internships around Kansas City for the summers, I was nervous to go to Wilderness Ranch. Little did I know that my four summers there would be life changing relationally. Two of my friends from WR drove from Colorado for a week to care for my kids shortly after I found out everything. One couple has supplemented my salary each month for 18 months so that I could be home with my boys more often. Others have given checks for an emergency fund for my kids or provided endless encouragement. When the boys and I needed to go on a vacation-on-a-budget this summer, my WR friends had us come to a dude ranch. I didn't even think to ask for these things.
3. My KC friends. This group has been around for the dailys. Things like going to get tested for HIV. Bring meals over. Listening to me process. Inviting me to dinner on nights when I don't have the boys. Helping me move. Telling me what outfit to wear on a dreaded first date. Taking my kids for a few hours. Contributing to the emergency fund. Going for walks with me. Helping me choose and stick to a church. Written me job recommendations.
Life has not turned out how I thought it would. But when I remind myself of these three groups of people I am grateful. Thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment