Thursday, May 17, 2007

To Stay at Home or Not to Stay at Home?

Many of you know how strange it has been for me to stay home the last 6 months. I've looked for several jobs and even interviewed for a few things that haven't worked out. I've been working at the church 10 hours a week but have decided I'd even rather do that as a volunteer so I can freely travel with David. Luckily, I don't have to work for financial purposes. Things will be tight with David in school, but he actually gets a decent salary from KU. I've been all over the map lately...working at Starbucks?, starting my PhD?, staying home full-time?. Basically I have no idea what I want to do and how Thomas and David fit into it. On the other hand, I know it's time when we get back from the cabin to start stimulating my brain again.

I'm lucky to have quite a few options and want to do something to contribute to our finances and my own health as a person. I've started to experience joy in staying home and doing routine things like folding laundry and cleaning our house. I've even gotten on a schedule that works well for Thomas and I and includes exercise for me and social interactions for T. Maybe the grass is always greener, and I'm playing that game for moms who work or have found ways to use their talents outside of the home. Here's what I know: 1. I don't want to work full-time and miss being with T. 2. I want to be available to David's schedule to do things like go to CO in the summers. 3. I need an environment that has clear boundaries and isn't so emotionally taxing that I come home overtired. 4. I'm drained by the idea of doing ministry or working in a Christian setting right now. 5. I'm a big baby when it comes to serving my family and need more practice in that area. 6. I get excited about PhD classes for me but am not sure it is best for David and I as a couple. (financially and the idea of both of us being in school) 7. I'm not ready to have another baby and therefore not really have this decision to make since when we have 2+ I'll probably be home. 8. It would be great if I could work somewhere that would provide health insurance and only in the mornings. 9. I don't want to babysit or be a nanny...leaving the house is a big factor. 10. I've thought about writing but don't know how to make money or provide structure to that career. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

just had a similar conversation with two friends while walking this morning. i am very content with my role as a sahm right now, probably because #2 is coming (which was somewhat of a surprise). and like you said, the flexiblity can't be beat. i'm free to serve my friends by watching their kids or to throw a meal together for someone who's had a baby. but those of you who are motivated educationally/career-wise really inspire me--i'm worried that i'm going to wake up in 10 years and have no options. and what if something were to happen to matt? i don't see myself going back to the classroom, but if i want to do anything else i will need to be prepared. i think if it's part of your makeup as a person to keep striving personally during this time, you won't be happy unless you're doing it in some way. it can be a small way though. baby steps (think cristy!!).