Sunday, September 23, 2007

Some Sunday Night Thoughts

These are my Sunday evening thoughts in random order. Read at your own risk. This post contains 2 cuss words.

1. We've been tossing around the question lately about whether churches should be part of a denomination. We've gone to both kinds and see pros and cons to both sides. The pro-denomination side would be the accountability and structure the leadership has since they are part of something bigger than just their own congregation. The con would be some denominations don't allow for the freedom and creativity of thought that you find in non-denominational churches. What has your experience been? Thoughts?

2. Frugal Fiona is still doing well although she did keep her Curves membership. They wouldn't let her out of the $36 a month without a doctor's note which Fiona could not come up with. It is probably good for her to be doing weight training along with her other gym too, if she can make herself get there twice a week. And that is a big IF right now without childcare. Fiona is still selling a few things on Craigs List, but her husband did have to reign her in a little to not be extreme.

3. I'd like to post this headline in a newspaper for SAHMs: NEW MAGICAL CLEANING TECHNIQUE FOUND! CUTS TIME AND EFFORT IN HALF!...HAVE LESS STUFF! This really has been true for me. It is so much easier to clean and for the house to look clean really quickly now that I've gotten a better handle on clutter and have let go of just a few pieces of furniture that I didn't like that much anyway. And those damn trinkets. I hated dusting those. Solution: only save the ones you love and give the rest away. Last thought on clutter: Why do I have 23 bath towels? 23! I think I'll be going through those tomorrow.

4. Weight-loss stuff is going better, I think. I started Weight Watchers again this week (not very frugal, but so worth it if it helps). I've been drinking more water and eating less fat. And I like the points system. It helps me feel like I'm in control about what I'm eating, and I'm not putting anything in my mouth without thinking twice. I'll be curious to weigh in on Tuesday. And the great thing is that my parents are watching Thomas on Tuesday evenings while I go to my meeting and then to a new Mom's group that I joined last week. It's called Mothers and More and has a great chapter here. More on that later.

5. It has been suggested that I give my size 2 pants and small tops away by Tommy's First Birthday if I'm not close to back in them. The idea is that women who have had children probably just are not going to fit in size 2s anymore and my boobs are probably not going to go into size small tops. It some ways this feels really good to think about just letting go of the idea and being ok with my body being different, but in other ways this seems like giving up. Those of you who have had children, what do you think? And those of you jackasses who can fit in a size 2, I may have some really hot jeans for you in November.

More to come...A

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A, you are too funny. I am going to call you today. CT

Crystal D. said...

OK, I think I mentioned before what I thought about small tops and size 2's. I honestly think it is nearly impossible to squeeze a baby out of size 2 hips. Case in point. I was a size 2 forever before I had Mia Grace. I only gained 35 pounds and am only 5 pounds away from pre-pregnancy weight. I am not trying to brag by any means. My point is that I cannot even remotely fit into my old clothes. I mean, my pants are seriously 2 inches from even buttoning. I feel pretty good about myself now that I have been working out. I would love to lose the flubber belly, but I know it will take time to tighten up a little more and will probably never go back to how it was. Also, with the shirts, if you are like me, what I want to wear now that I am a mom has changed. I was at a crossroads when I got preggo. I look back at all my cute clothes, and they are cute, but a little young. I am not talking about trading in trendy jeans, for high rise tappered leg, but sophisticating my wardrobe a little. Even if I lose the 5 pounds, I don't want my clothes to fit like they did pre preggo. After wearing elastic wastes I now go for comfort. I dont want my jeans to be super tight around my thighs, and I certainly dont want my tops to be woah boob shirts. So, I have resolved to give up most of my size 2's and small shirts. I will admit I gave them to my cousin/bff so I can get them back if needed. Blouse type shirts and jackets, smalls are still great, but t-shirt type tops ... they are just too clingy with bigger boobs and a jello like belly. Well, you got my 2 cents. I dont think it is you giving up at all. Keep the clothes that you really really love and get rid of the ones you are hanging onto because they symbolize a goal to reach. That will just keep you feeling defeated. I still have a few size 2's , but they say things like "boyfriend fit" , "wide leg", "loose fit". I stick with size 4's for the regualar. I did go jeans shopping with my mom (I literally had NO jeans at all that fit), always a good thing, and she bought me the greatest jeans EVER. They were expensive, but they run big too. So, if you want to really feel good, you could go buy Lucky "Wonder" jeans. I bought a size 26 (pre-preggo size). So, I get to be comfy with jeans that actaully fit around my waste and are a little lose in the butt and thighs AND get to feel like I am wearing the same size! The tiny tiny girl who helped me politely said, "lots of moms love these jeans". I had to swallow that for a moment, but was so thankful she helped me find the mecca of jeans!