Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Update.

This check-in is going to be in bullet format, just like my dad writes letters.
1. Christmas: All the traveling went well. We were sick before and after. Thomas' favorite present was a ping-pong ball to put in his mouth (the whole thing). He also got a tricycle and a wagon he likes quite a bit. He isn't into wrapping paper at all yet, but he is really into babies. He met David's newborn cousin in Houston and has been going up to babies ever since. David says this means he needs a sibling. I like to tell Callie it means he needs a cousin. The trip only had one disagreement with the in-laws. Again, progress.

2. Weight-loss: Status quo. No ups or downs during the holidays. I'm going to Jazzercize 3x/week and using a new software I like called Calorie King. Holding steady for now...still hoping to lose a little more by Callie's wedding in March.

3. Career: I start my classes next week. I'm excited because getting this particular certificate will allow me to counsel in the school districts. I'm not sure how long it will take me to finish up, but at least I'm working toward a goal. My brother Paul was transfered home over the break, and I've been working for him. He and my dad have to give gifts once a month to all their clients, so I put those together for them. In fact, let's take a little poll: What are some of the best gifts in the $25-30 range you have received? I'm looking for thoughtful, unique ideas that are easy to ship.

4. Marriage: David and I are going to Chicago this weekend. It will be the first time we leave Thomas for more than a night. We are so excited to get away. I realized over the break that I/We have never really grieved the loss of our freedom since becoming parents. We've both been afraid to admit that not being able to travel and do whatever we want to anymore is tough. With David home this month I have tasted the sweetness of saying, "I'm going shopping" and leaving...not having to plan it out and get a sitter and think about nap times. Maybe I am more selfish than most, but I've really missed that lately.

5. Church/God/Politics: We are still working on this. We want to make sure before jumping into another church that we know what we are looking for and what we believe. Our latest disagreement with the conservative right has been the role of women in ministry. The more I read scripture, the more I am seeing that men and women should be on equal ground. Many have asked me if I will be voting for Senator Clinton. My answer is absolutely yes IF Obama doesn't get the nomination. I like HIlary's platform, I like that she is a woman, I'm just not sure she is the RIGHT woman for the job.

6. Crushes: I'm still pretty hot on Ryan Gosling, although David got this new haircut that has been quite the head-turner lately.

7. Reading/Books: Just finished 'Shop Girl' by Steve Martin. Pretty good. Definitely entertaining. Also read 'Irresistible Revolution' by Shane Clairborne. Pretty amazing stories on social justice. Now starting 'Lovely Bones.' Kind of freaky at night.

More later...

1 comment:

Tony and Julie said...

Great update, A. I noticed that Love in the Time of Cholera is on your Shelfari. My sister sent that to me for my birthday and I finally got a chance to start it over Christmas. Seems good so far! We are in serious need of a phone conversation, so I will respond more to your post then. : ) Have a great time in Chicago - sounds like a wonderful getaway!