Monday, March 24, 2008

Book Reviews


I've been enjoying two non-fiction books lately. The first one is called "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh. You may have seen him on Oprah. This book gives very practical ideas for de-cluttering. A few of my favorites include: 1. Turn all the clothes in your closet facing backwards on a hanger. When you wear something turn it around when you put it back. Anything that is still facing backwards after a few months needs to be given away. 2. Once you get your house where you want it to be, everything that comes in the door must be traded for something going out. I bought new shoes last week, so I put a pair in the give-away pile. 3. Put all kitchen appliances in a big box in the middle of the kitchen. When you use something, put it away in a cabinet. At the end of a few weeks anything left in the box you don't really need.
I have used many of these ideas (not legalistically) and am proud to say that my house now has very little clutter. I can clean up any room in 5 minutes and have spent less time looking for lost things. Getting dressed and doing my hair are much easier because I only have products and clothes to choose that I actually use. I did keep anything with sentimental value or "a few times a year" items like entertaining platters or formal dresses, but the day-to-day is clutter free!

The second book is a little devotional David's parents gave us. It is written in the first person as if Jesus is speaking directly to you. This perspective has helped me connect with God more in the few minutes I make per day to actually sit down and read something/pray/journal. Here's an excerpt from yesterday's writing:
"I am both a God of intricate detail and overflowing abundance. When you entrust the details of your life to me, you are surprised by how throughly I answer your petitions. I take pleasure in hearing your prayers, so feel free to bring me all your requests. The more you pray, the more answers you can receive. Best of all, your faith is strengthened as you see how precisely I respond to your specific prayers."

1 comment:

Crystal D. said...

You are such an avid reader ... I wish I could finish books as fast as you. When do you read the most?