Monday, March 31, 2008

School.

I haven't been very clear with most people about what I am doing back in school. I changed my mind so many times about what I was going to do to keep my career moving forward after I had Thomas. I wanted to make sure this stuck before explaining again. I think the lack of confidence and indecision are the two main ways I struggled with postpartum depression. It's fun to see those two things falling back into place. (By the way, would you e-mail me if you struggled with postpartum depression? I studied it in school but only now can look back and see the effects for me personally. I'm curious how it has effected other women. Mine didn't start until 6 months post-delivery and continued until about 12-13 months).

Anyway what I am doing in school is getting my teaching license. I was an Elementary Ed. major for 1 year in college and am now finishing that up. I want this degree because if I teach for two years I can then apply for school counseling jobs in any state. And I've decided after much deliberation, research, and observation that school counseling is the right fit for me. So, I'm hoping to teach 3-6 grade for the last 2 years that David is in school. We'll see if that works out. He wants to be a Stay-At-Home Dad and finish school part-time. I have three more very part-time, easy semesters and then will student teach (in a paid position!) in the Spring of 2010. I love having direction and knowing I am called to help young people in a structured environment like an Elementary School in addition to raising a happy son. Schools are where societal change happens. While this is my plan, and it feels awesome to have one, I'm also holding it loosely. I know more babies and unexpected things are also in our future. Plus, student teaching will help me know for sure whether I'll be ready to go back to work full-time. Maybe I will wait until my kid (s) are older before doing that. We'll see...

How have you all balanced work and kids? What do you do outside the home to pursue your passions and dreams? This process has helped me appreciate David so much. While we are definitely aware that he will be the primary breadwinner, he wants to see me succeed too. Do you all think it is important for children to see their mothers accomplish things in a work environment? I was told recently that by having anything other than Thomas to focus on that I am sending him the message that he isn't good enough for me to be with full-time. I don't know about this. He is a pretty confident little guy and knows I adore him even though he stays with my mom on T/R mornings so I can go to class. What do you other women think?

2 comments:

tara said...

If you haven't already seen it - go check out the post Michele just wrote on PPD - I left a response for her - check it out. I don't know why none of us ever talk about this stuff.... we could be loving each other by at least listening to each other talk about what we are going through - I know when I was struggling I didn't talk about it b/c I didn't think anyone could identify with what I was going through.

Crystal D. said...

I definitely struggled with PPD I think and didn't know what to call it. I experienced it the exact same time as you! I didn't even know that. I dont think I knew what to call it bc it didn't show up until MG was 6 months and I never had thoughts about her in a negative light. I saw Brooke Sheilds and didn't relate to anything she felt (the no connection thing). Mine was all related to not cutting it as a mom, wife, woman in general. Anyway ... are you kidding that someone told you that working will send the message to Tommy that he isn't enough? I dont even think that requires a response and the one I would give wouldnt be too nice (this is coming from a current stay at home mom). Ridiculous!