Thursday, April 03, 2008

Inner Athlete Unleashed

I've spent so much time trying to get baby weight on and then off the past two years that I forgot I am an athlete. I joined a gym last month that unleashed my athlete-self again. One day last week I worked out so hard I almost threw up. It's been a LONG time. And it felt awesome. Where did athlete Adrienne go?

There is no better feeling than pushing my body almost over the edge. I've been running again, doing cardio on the stair master or elliptical machines and lifting weights. And not wimpy girl weights. Strong woman weights. My goal is to continue to tone up and slim down over the next few months. It is almost like when I became pregnant I forgot that I ran 2 marathons, was a backpacking guide, and even was the second best female runner in camp for 2 summers. I was strong. And fast. And I'm starting to see that again. I love to sweat, and I need to call myself an athlete to make sweating a priority in my life.

Now that working out has become consistent for 6 straight months, it's time to work on the eating again. I can only do one thing at a time. I'm really going to give myself grace here though and cut out the bad stuff slowly and not altogether. Thomas is starting to notice what I eat and wants what is on my plate. This fact has made me more aware that if I wouldn't feed it to my baby it's probably not best for me either. A good example is cookie cake for breakfast. A note to self: If your son is signing for a cookie at 8am because he sees one on your plate you are probably not modeling well.

Oh and the great thing about this gym is that a bunch of 'real' athletes go there. So that means their kids are in the playroom. So Thomas gets to learn from tall kids. The other day he made friends with Garrison. Garrison's dad was in the NBA for awhile. I've found myself already wanting my son to succeed in athletics but deep down know his only chance is to be quick and coordinated. He's just not going to be very big. But like his momma he has a big heart and a lot of determination. He did knock a kid down when hunting for Easter Eggs recently, and Garrison taught him how to go head first down the slide. We have a little Rudy in the making.

1 comment:

Crystal D. said...

I love this post. My father-in-law asked the other day ... do you ever play basketball in a league? I laughed and said, "that's not a luxury woman really have". Why is that? Men always can enter into leagues and pick up sports and such. Even Mike has been asked to join a basketball league and without taking anything away from him (he is a great athlete!) I can kick his butt in bball. I hate running, so I envy you A, but when it comes to running up and down the court, I could do it all day. I really wish that was more available for woman. I also desire for my in-laws and even husband to know that side of me. Sure, he knows I was a backpacking guide, but they really have no idea I could have played college basketball if I had chosen that path. Maybe I just need to get over it and try to excel in other areas. Who knows? Love your thoughts and love how you are connecting with your inner athlete! Go girl.