
I was assigned this book for my summer school class at Rockhurst. Rockhurst's program is focused on social justice, and I am LOVING it. This book is excellent. Finally a book that has made me truly think about my role in society. I want to work in schools to promote justice, and this book accurately describes the state of urban school districts. Why isn't tax money more evenly distributed for schools? Why don't we bus students to schools outside our neighborhoods in order to desegregate? How can I make sure Thomas is around people who don't look like him but not necessarily compromise his education or make him the minority? Are magnet schools a good or a bad thing? These are some of the questions I am asking myself after reading this book. The conditions of urban schools are disgusting...raw sewage, non-working toilets, students standing in the back of classrooms due to lack of space, teachers sleeping through the classes they are assigned to teach, text books 5 and 6 grades below a student's grade level, etc. So much work to do...
2 comments:
Wichita was one of the few districts still busing for desegregation purposes until this year. That's not really considered as a viable option anymore for quite a few reasons--see wikipedia for more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desegregation_busing
i have read part of this book too, a long time ago though. good stuff. i ought to read it again soon as the kids are school age very soon.
al
Post a Comment