I know most people are sick of the elections, but I have been asked by many why I voted for Obama. I always articulate things better in writing, so I thought I'd take a stab at something that has been near and dear to my heart this week. A little background is that I grew up in a moderately Republican home, didn't vote in 2000, and voted for Bush in 2004...
1. Cultural Gaps: I believe Obama can bridge cultural gaps both within the US and around the world. Whether you like it or not, or know about it or not, minorities in our nation have been treated very poorly throughout history. I want the children of my minority friends to have someone that looks like them in the White House. I believe Obama's race and demeanor will promote peace and unity among all people groups. I also know that he will be better liked and respected by world leaders than Bush was.
2. Intellect: After working hard to earn a higher degree as well as having a husband working toward his doctorate, I could never vote for Sarah Palin. She graduated from a state school after years of bouncing around. She does not have a law degree, an MBA, or any other forms of higher education. We live in a country with some of the best and the brightest scholars in the world. Why would we not draw from the most intellectually bright to lead our nation?
3. Reflective: I believe Obama has reflected on his race, his upbringing, his past, his marriage, etc. Self-reflection is a very important quality to me. You can hear his humility and reflection in his speeches. He is passionate about admitting things are wrong and wanting to fix them.
4. Anger vs. Hope: McCain chose to run his campaign out of anger. Obama chose to promote hope and unity. I just like that approach better. Obama is just more likable.
5. Social Issues: It's time to work on some stuff in our country. Things are unequal and unfair. While I could probably not have an abortion, I would hate to ignore all the other problems with existing people on this earth and vote solely for that one issue. We need reform for our minorities and that doesn't happen by encouraging rich, white people to privately give more money to charity.
6. Faith: After reading and listening to speeches about Obama's faith, I believe it is pretty similar to my own. He believes the church exists to promote social justice and civil rights. Same with politics. He looks at faith and politics holistically, not simply based on one issue. I believe Obama has the power to promote something more like what the Kingdom of God could look like on this earth due to his beliefs.
So, yes. I cried this week when I saw the administrator at Howard University unable to speak because she was so overcome with emotion. I cried after going to hear Obama speak in Kansas City a few weeks ago and seeing people from every tribe, tongue, and nation gathered together to promote hope. And I will probably be weepy on January 20th because it's just time to do things differently around here. I can't wait to see what happens next.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Beautifully put Adrienne. I especially like your comment about 'rich white people giving to charity'. I think people want a hand up and not a hand out. They want to be given tools to be able to help themselves and not be a charity case.
Post a Comment