Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Finding a Therapist

I was re-reading my post from yesterday and realized I wasn't very helpful as far as finding a therapist. And please know that my personal journey has been long and difficult. I have by no means arrived, and I don't expect "arrival" from others. BUT, if you are my friend at any level deeper than talking about football I'm always going to encourage you every once in awhile to go talk to someone. Hopefully not in a pushy way, but more because I care about you and want you to experience what I have gained from having an outside perspective.

I can't help you pay for counseling, but I can watch your kids if you live around here, help you find a good fit in a therapist, and search for low-fee people if money is an issue. Plus, I've been trained to keep everything about the subject confidential, so it's not like you have to worry about me squealing on you. There you go, now all the excuses have run out. Now if only I could find weight-loss therapy. :)

Nationally Certified Counselors (this is what I am) can be found by typing in your zip code on this website: www.nbcc.org

Look for someone that has an interest roughly in your particular issue-set even if you aren't sure exactly what they are yet. For me, I would look for words like "Women's Issues, Spiritual Direction, Career Counseling, Anxiety/Depression,etc." And don't worry if you don't know what you will say the first time you go. I sat through my first few appointments pretty much in silence with my therapist in Denver because I wasn't comfortable enough to talk. She asked me questions that finally got me rolling.

No comments: